Meet our new BBF (Best Blogger Friend) Liz, of WomanlyWoman (and first EVER guest poster). We are thrilled to have her! Enjoy her first post of many (we hope!).
So you may have seen the video for the hit song by Robin Thicke, Blurred Lines. I like the song. It is catchy and fun to sing along. The first time I saw the video, it was actually an ex-boyfriend showing me. I tried to point out to him that the video objectified women but he never fully understood that concept so I just avoided the topic and discussed how in many ways I am like the woman he is describing.
Why I’m like that lady:
- He [my ex] tried to domesticate me.
- But I’m an animal, it’s in my nature.
- I needed to be liberated from that boring relationship.
- I didn’t need no papers (marriage documents) with him [my ex].
- He [my ex] was not my maker.
- I’m far from plastic.
- I am a good girl.
- I am the hottest female dog in this place.
- I do want it. (The ice cream cone Robin Thicke licks at 1:59.)
So anyway, while I was watching the video for the first time I thought to myself that it really could create some weird situations. It promotes the idea to men that they need to just push through the whole “good girl” thing and that women really are just animals. I do agree that we have sexual needs. But are we really female dogs in heat? I feel like we have more self control than that. I also feel like if we say we don’t want to do something, we actually mean it. We aren’t just flirting or being silly. Dudes need to understand and respect that.
So then yesterday I came across this amazing parody that is receiving some attention on the ‘net. This lady hit the nail on the head. And the video is quite entertaining.
I had to add it to my playlists:
— Liz Barnett (@WomanlyWoman) August 8, 2013
I’ve watched the video at least 10 times and I just found it yesterday:
The most hilarious thing about this video is that just a week or so ago I went on a few dates and this EXACT SITUATION happened with both guys. Both. I had two guys in a short amount of time transform into instant douchebags, put their hands all over me, not pay attention to social cues, and want to get up in my junk. I mean, I can’t help it, I am pretty hot. But, really guys? If a girl is not kissing you back, maybe she doesn’t like you. Maybe she isn’t an “animal”? Maybe she really IS a “good girl”. Maybe she just isn’t that into you.
- Jimmy Fallon, Robin Thicke & The Roots Perform “Blurred Lines” Using Toy Instruments (wagmsworld.wordpress.com)
- This Is What Happens When You Sing “Blurred Lines” In Public (mix1041.cbslocal.com)
- Robin Thicke’s Bold Feminist Vision In “Blurred Lines” (femborg.wordpress.com)
About the author: